Access Help

In the first instance you should visit your GP, who may refer you to one of our teams. Some services accept self-referral, or a referral from a friend or relative. Search for Services offered in your area and for more information on how to get referred.

You may be offered a primary care service, for example a health centre or clinic for counselling or treatment for an addiction. If you suffer from a more serious or long-term mental health problem, your GP will refer you to a secondary care service (Community Mental Health Teams).

Community Mental Health Teams are the main point of referral into more specialist services and they will assess your condition and offer support as well as treatment options. Depending on the type of service, treatment can be accessed through inpatient wards, home treatment teams, Community Mental Health Teams, Accident and Emergency at the local hospital via the liaison service, crisis team, drop-in centres and day centres.

In an emergency

If you are concerned about an immediate risk of harm - either to yourself or someone else - phone 999. If it is not an emergency but you require urgent advice, call 101. Visit your local Accident & Emergency department if necessary.